The Whole30 is a great opportunity to try new flavors and experiment with cooking things you might not have tried before. Seared scallops with a velvety sweet potato mash and Ayoba Biltong has everything your tastebuds want and more!
For the seasoned Whole30 home cooks, this dish is a great way to mix things up with an elegant restaurant worthy dish. Perfect for date night, entertaining, or a weeknight treat! Recipe by Food Phenom Carson Sweezy!
For the Sweet Potato Puree:
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1/2 lb carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Scrub and wash sweet potatoes and then cut slits into the tops of the sweet potatoes
- Bake sweet potatoes at 375 F with skins on for 1 hour or until for tender
- Meanwhile, cut carrots into 1 inch pieces and cover in a small saucepan with water and olive oil. Sprinkle in thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat with the lid-off until carrots are fork tender, roughly 20 minutes
- Peel the skins off the cooked sweet potatoes and place potatoes in food processor along with the cooked carrots, 1 clove garlic, 1 bunch of chives, and salt & pepper.
- Process, streaming in the water and oil cooking liquid that the carrots were cooked in. Process until smooth.
- Season to taste
Recipe for Vinaigrette:
- For the vinaigrette combine all ingredients besides the olive oil in a medium sized bowl.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil in a thin stream as you whisk.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to high heat, until lightly smoking
- Season scallops with salt
- Pour 2 T oil into pan and sear scallops for 1 minute per side
Plate puree on a serving plate with scallops on top. Sprinkle the Ayoba Spicy Biltong over the plate along with the vinaigrette. Enjoy!